Yeah fashion's shallow, but have my swimming certificate so I can dive right in. ...okay that didn't get many laughs..

June 25, 2011

Ranting about Gaga and fashion and stuff I will say a million times over.

It always annoy me when I, like everyone else, get about 4 emails a day from Lookbook, telling me it’s my daily feed of collective fashion conciousness. And I’m like, urgh, stop making me excited by telling me I have email and then it’s only freakin’ Lookbook.

But I just went through every single email I’ve been sent with Lookbook photos from the last 4 months that I’ve been ignoring them, and I am still constantly overwhelmed by the power of fashion and clothes, to tell a story.
And it really does piss me off when people call fashion or the fashion industry shallow or bitchy or “just about skinny girls walking in high heels wearing over priced bits of Liberty fabric”. Okay, nobody’s ever said that, but I bet they think it. But it’s not! Fashion is an art form and a form of storytelling, a way of getting moods and feelings across, and obviously it’s something that I am fiercely passionate about and I would do anything to defend it and what I believe in.
I read something about Gaga the other day, saying she should stop dressing up and doing “the whole costume thing” and concentrate on her actual singing. But people don’t get that without her “costume thing” she is not much different from any other singer who is amazingly talented. She would still be a better songwriter, but fashion is a part of who she is. She isn’t putting it on for show, she is using it to express her feelings and messages about the world. She has been given the power of fame, that people will hear her music and see her outfits whether they like her or not. She is getting her message across through two art forms, her music and fashion…

Well that turned into a fairly long rant, sorry. And I’ve said most of this before and I will say it again because it makes me angry more than anything else in the world apart from racism, that fashion is still not widely accepted as art and the people that work in fashion are considered in some way “not intelligent”. Is the most influential women in the magazine and fashion industry, who decides basically, what you’re wearing, whether you like it or not, Anna Wintour, not freakin’ intelligent? Well, yeah. Look, I can’t think of a good finishing sentence for this little rant, so I’m just going to go. Byebye!
♥ Moda non e mia vita. La vita e mia moda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So...what do do you think?